HEREâ€™S WHAT OUR EXPERIENCE HAS TAUGHT US ABOUT GREEN LOW-SLOPED ROOFING SOLUTIONS
The â€œcoolâ€ roofing option, highly reflective roofing products are just that, cool. To put it simply, unlike traditional black roofing systems that act as a magnet for the sunâ€™s rays and absorb its heat and energy, white and reflective products reflect these harmful rays and stay cool. The result? Lower energy costs for the owner. Additionally, these products have been further developed to include additional colors such as patina green, tan, and gray so they have even more appeal for uses with particular aesthetics to consider.
Many PVC roofing products are 99.5% recyclable. Additionally, because PVC is the only plastic not made from 100% fossil fuel, its production not only consumes less natural resources but also requires less energy.
Figure 2 above is presented in a simplified form to illustrate the theory of cool roofs. There are many complex and related variables that must be considered when selecting the correct roofing product for the application.
Our years of experience and continued roofing education have exposed us to valuable technologies that allow us to determine when roof re-covers are possible. Using infra-red scanning techniques, we can pinpoint moisture issues with a roofing system, address and repair them individually, then proceed with a new roofing system ON TOP of the existing roof.
Roof repairs and replacements typically occur every 20 to 30 years, while the other building envelope components can far exceed this timeline. Roof re-covers allows the roof to keep up with the performance of the entire envelope without the creation of tons upon tons of construction waste. The end result is a green alternative to full removal and replacement.
Metal Roofing Systems
- Modern metal roofing systems are coated with special solar reflective paint that not only looks beautiful, but also reflects solar radiant heat, which keeps buildings cooler and reduces energy costs.
- Metal roofing is a fully recyclable material that contains a significant proportion of post consumer content and can be recycled at the end of its service life.
- Metal roofing is considered a green roofing material because it is energy efficient and environmentally safe.
- Not only does a metal roofing system last a long time, but it also provides reliable protection against strong hurricane winds.
Asphalt Shingle Roofing Systems
While Asphalt Shingle Roofing Systems are not necessarily considered a green roofing choice, they are often chosen because they are one of the most cost effective options for steep slope roofs. Weâ€™ve learned, that there are some ways to make the system more planet friendly and like to suggest the following when working with asphalt shingle roofs:
- Install light colored shingles â€“ light colored shingles last longer and can result in a cooler building compared to darker shingles
- Provide adequate attic ventilation â€“ proper attic ventilation is vital to a healthy, green roof. Ridges vents, soffit vents, and gable vents all help to keep air circulating in attic spaces. This can equate to a cooler attic, and building in the summer, and reduce the build up of condensation in the winter, which can result in water damage, rot, and mold growth.
- Installed recycled content asphalt roofing shingles â€“ recycled content asphalt shingles contain recycled waste paper and use reclaimed material slag in their aggregate surfaces. Since discarded asphalt shingles are a major source of construction waste, anything you can do to offset that, such as cutting down on the waste of raw materials on the manufacturing end, is a plus!